I love one dish dinners – that’s because I am a lazy cook. 🙂 Sausage and Rice is one of our favorite one dish dinners. It’s quick and easy to fix AND you can add any type of sausage that strikes your fancy. I prefer this with hot Italian sausage or chorizo, but this version is a healthier version with chicken sausage. You can also add peppers of your choice of a little kick.
I’ve not listed amounts for the seasonings because I have a heavy hand for hot and spicy, so season to your taste. Besides, you should be tasting this throughout the cooking process like any good cook does! 😉
Sausage and RiceMake with your favorite sausage!
1 chopped onion
1 cup of instant rice
2 cans diced tomatoes
1 can black olives
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
Cajun, Italian, Mediterranean Seasoning (Depending on your sausage choice) to taste
Salt and Pepper to taste
- Chop onion, cut up sausage, and slice olives. Set aside
- Prepare rice according to package directions, substituting ½ cup of the water for one can of tomatoes. Salt, pepper and season to taste.
- Bring water/tomato/spices to a boil and add rice. Cover and set aside
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil.
- Add the chopped onion and sausage. Brown sausage and cook until onion is tender.
- Add seasonings, and can of tomatoes and sliced olives to sausage and onions
- Continue to simmer until the liquid is almost completely reduced
- Add cooked rice, stir and serve.